I STARTED out my legal career by seeking out mentors who could impart to me their valuable experience, insights, knowledge, and skills. I was fortunate to have found them, from a Bar Exam Topnotcher, a Law School Salutatorian, to who are now top executives in the Government.
I am thankful that I was fortunate to have been entrusted with big clients and key accounts where I consulted on and sharpened my expertise on labor and employment, corporate and regulatory compliance, data privacy, intellectual property, negotiations and contracts, litigation and commercial arbitration.
Around the same time, I have had the privilege of teaching MBA students at a prestigious university on the course entitled Legal Aspects of Business, which I would write a book later on and which would be used in other business schools.
Through requests from training providers, I have been a regular lecturer and trainer on corporate training and seminars involving business and labor law topics.
With these various experiences, I authored books to help business owners and managers on regulatory compliance, particularly the bestseller book entitled Legal Aspects of Business, which is used now as a reference in MBA programs and business schools, due to it being a unique lawbook written specifically for non-lawyers and it covers various business laws within the size of a regular book.
Currently, with my law partners, we have established a law firm focused on regulatory compliance to help business leaders navigate the complex world of business regulations. Our main focus is on designing systems and procedures to help build awareness in their organizations on the value of compliance.
For my personal advocacy on improving compliance and making better employers, I write online articles, produce podcasts, and create videos uploaded at YouTube.
Looking at it back now, I am glad to have found mentors in my early years. To pay it forward, I keep mentoring programs to impart what I know and to help others learn more about and to the value the importance of laws and regulations.
Work experience (non-exhaustive)
Del Puerto Law & Co.
Nov 2018 – Present
2 years 11 months
Pasig City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Senior Partner, January 2021 to present
Managing Partner, November 2018 to December 2020
- Serves as legal retainer to Companies and Organizations;
- Advises on legal compliance and avoidance of legal risks;
- Manages legal requirements and corporate housekeeping, including preparation/review of contracts and other legal documents ;
- Represents clients in cases or lawsuits, before regulatory agencies, quasi-judicial tribunals, mediation offices, arbitration tribunals, and regular courts, involving compliance cases, labor complaints, intra-corporate controversies, breach of contract, and related commercial cases;
- Assists in negotiations involving high-value commercial transactions; and,
- Conducts corporate training and seminars on legal compliance, such as labor and employment laws, corporate law, intellectual property law, negotiations and contracts, among others.
Senior Associate Lawyer
Nov 2017 – Nov 2018
1 year 1 month
Pasig City, NC Metro Manila, Philippines
- Managed labor and employment disputes/cases, DOLE assessments/inspection, administrative investigations, as well as labor relations with company unions and labor organizations;
- Represented clients in commercial arbitration, mediation, and other alternative modes of settling disputes;
- Drafted and reviewed company policies, regulations, handbooks and manuals, as well as supported human resources in implementing policies and procedures; and
- Represented clients in negotiations, meetings, and conferences with government regulatory offices and quasi-judicial agencies.
MBA Business Law Instructor
San Beda Graduate School of Business
Jun 2013 – Aug 2018
5 years 3 months
Manila City, Metro Manila, Philippines
MBA Instructor for Legal Aspects of Business (Business Law)
- Lectured MBA students on the course entitled Legal Aspects of Business, which is designed to teach the Philippine legal framework for commercial and economic activities, with discussions on the impact of ASEAN Integration;
- Taught business laws, including contract law, labor law, intellectual property law, corporation law, sales and consumer law, insurance law, among others;
- Discussed various government regulations and legal compliance for businesses to follow and observe in their management and operations; and
- Imparted best legal practices so that businesses can prevent lawsuits, as well as reduce and manage legal risks or liabilities.
Juris Doctor (Law)
University of the Philippines, College of Law (U.P. Law)
Jun 2007 – Mar 2011
Diliman, Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines
- Order of the Purple Feather (U.P. Law’s Honor Society; A.Y. 2008-09);
- U.P. Law Soccer (January 2009 to March 2011); and, * U.P. Law Electoral and Judicial Tribunal (January 2010 to March 2011).
University of the Philippines, College of Social Sciences and Philosophy (CSSP)
Jun 2003 – Mar 2007
Diliman, Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines
- Graduated cum laude;
- University Scholar (1st & 2nd Semester, A.Y. 2009-10; 1st Semester, A.Y. 2010-11);
- College Scholar (2nd Semester, A.Y. 2007-08; 1st & 2nd Semester, A.Y. 2008-09; 2nd Semester, A.Y. 2010-11).